HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
ILFORD adheres to eight corporate principles on health and safety and the environment.
- Prioritising health and safety and the environment in all operations.
- Taking health and safety and the environment into account in development and design.
- Health and safety and environmental monitoring.
- Training employees in their health and safety and environmental responsibilities.
- Research to improve health and safety and the environment.
- Communication on matters of health and safety and the environment.
- Participation with public policies on health and safety and the environment.
- Energy conservation.
ILFORD also has additional programmes which go beyond these eight principles. Of course the company's factories and products conform to all local regulations and codes of practice in countries where ILFORD has a manufacturing or sales presence. However, ILFORD also puts a considerable amount of research effort into reducing the environmental impact of its products in ways that are not yet covered by legislation. ILFORD believes that environmental improvement and conservation are the routine responsibility of any business.
The excellence of ILFORD imaging products continues to make us leaders in quality, while maintaining productivity and efficiency for our customers. Today it is possible to reproduce with our products all the beauty and nuance of a breathtaking landscape, or capture the full spectrum of natural colours. At the same time, ILFORD is acutely aware that the original beauty in life, from which these images come, must be protected.
The last two decades have seen an aggressive programme to eliminate components with questionable risks by replacing these with substitutes proven to be ecologically safe. In addition, the quantity of raw materials needed have been reduced and/or replaced by recycled ones. For example, more than 60% of the silver used in our film and paper production comes from recycling. All packaging material is based on recycled or recyclable products, and we actively try to reduce the amount of packaging that we use.
The volume of chemistry needed for our processes has been reduced by up to 50% depending on the process, and water consumption has been reduced by as much as 90%. Our production site operates to strict environmental standards and are fully equipped with sophisticated water treatment plants, heat exchangers, and silver recovery equipment.